Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Ways of Seeing

Ways of Seeing - John Berger

            Often in art history we are taught about works of art that are important, and then told why they are important. We are really not told how to look at work. Ways of seeing really made me think about why society considers certain works important, and in many cases I think the work falls short. Berger says, "If I look at this painting hard enough, I should feel it's authenticity. The Virgin of the rocks by Leonardo da Vinci: it is authentic therefor it is beautiful." This really struck home to me when Berger discussed the paining by Leonardo da Vinci. Berger shows us the image, and in black and white it looks fairly unremarkable, crows flying over a field. However when placed in the context of being Vincent van Goghs last painting it takes on a new meaning. It also takes on a mystique and an aura, the last painting of the mad genius. This made me consider the importance of a title. If a simple few words can change the whole meaning of the work then certainly a works title has a massive influence on the way a viewer will see the work.
             One of the more curious aspects to this work was the visual essays. Essays comprised only of images. The meaning of the first of these essays I found obvious and interesting. Berger acnologes the male gaze and talks about the objectification of the woman body. I found this to be the most successful of the visual essays. because the essay is about viewing the female body, and by reading it we are forced to look at the bodies of women.
            The next section of this essay I found to be the most... controversial? The book discuses women boys, and in fact the way women see there own bodies, however all authors involved in the making of this book are male. Even considering that I think there were some really interesting points made. "From her earliest childhood she has been taught and persuaded to survey herself continually" I think this is very true. Being a woman myself i have experienced this first hand. As a woman you grow up being influenced and taught to believe that your appearance is the most important aspect of your being. It creates a culture focused around self judgment. I do however really disagree with the author on one point it is written "Men act and women appear. Men look at women. women watch themselves being looked at." This is perhaps a by product of when this book was written but I still think it is problematic. Women may judge there appearances more harshly then men (arguable in this decade) but we do not simply appear, women are just as capably of action as men.
         "Oil Paintings are still being created today. Yet the basis of its traditional way of seeing was undermined by impressionism, and overthrown by cubism." As an oil painter I'm often told that the way in which I paint is wrong. Realist and representational painting is something that I hope to continue to do in the future.










No comments:

Post a Comment